committee of three members of the legislature selected LaFox (Geneva) as the Kane County
seat since James Herrington's Tavern and Inn, located on North State Street near the Fox
River, had the only post office in the County. Herrington's Tavern also served as the
first County Courthouse. On June 4, 1836, 180 men gathered at Herrington's Tavern to elect
officials for the new County: three commissioners, a Sheriff, a Recorder of Deeds, a
Coroner, and a Surveyor.
Constitution of 1848 empowered counties to change their form of government and the
residents of Kane County, mostly from New England, chose the county-township type. Sixteen
townships were created: Hampshire, Jackson (Rutland), Dundee, Burlington, Washington
(Plato), Elgin, Franklin (Virgil), Fairfield (Campton), St Charles, Royalton (Kaneville),
Blackberry, Geneva, Batavia, Little and Big Rock, Sugar Grove, and Fox River (Aurora).
year the responsibilities of the County Commissioners were divided. The administration of
the County was transferred to a Board of Supervisors consisting of one supervisor from
each of the 16 townships. Another elected official, the County Clerk, was added. A Chief
Judge and two associate judges assumed the judicial responsibilities formerly held by the
The form of
government for Kane County changed again in 1972 when the Illinois legislature abolished
the Board of Supervisors and established the County Board. Kane County was divided into 26
districts and one Board member was elected from each district. The new 26 member County
Board took office in May, 1972.